The internet is awash with lists of zero calorie foods to help you lose weight! The basic idea is that these foods are so low in calories, that your body actually uses more energy digesting them than it gets from the food. So you end up with a food that is effectively calorie free. You might have your own option on whether or not some of these foods are really zero calorie foods (nothing wrong with a bit of healthy scepticism!) even though many health experts on line say they are – but what is DEFINITELY true, is that these foods are so low in calories that it really doesn’t matter! 20 calories here or there is completely meaningless in the context of your daily calorie consumption. So whether these foods are ‘zero calorie foods to help you lose weight’, or whether some might work out as ’10 or 20 calorie foods to help you lose weight’, it really doesn’t matter when it comes to shifting the pounds. The bottom line is that introducing some of these ‘zero’ calorie foods into your diet is likely to be a very good idea, and help you to see results quickly.
Personally, I’m against traditional dieting. That’s because, for a lot of people, most traditional diets just mess with your head. You end up either beating yourself up for not sticking to your (impossible) diet, or you lose weight then just put it back on again. So why an article on zero calorie foods to help you lose weight if I don’t like diets?… Well, it’s pretty simple. If you’d like to lose a few pounds (or more than a few pounds), you can just effortlessly incorporate these foods into your day as snacks, or as a part of your main meal. You’ll naturally reduce the amount of calories you consume on a daily basis (but please, don’t start counting them!), and that’s a great first step for weight loss. Job done – you don’t have to give it much thought or become obsessed with it.
I am, of course, not suggesting that the pounds are going to fall off if the rest of your diet consists mainly of copious amounts of pizza and chocolate (don’t go giving it all up though)! But if you have a generally healthy/average diet, and replace a decent amount of your snacks and/or meal accompaniments with these foods, you should start to see a difference very soon. These foods are all rich in nutrients too, so you’ll become healthier all round.
If you give this a go and incorporate these foods into your diet, let me know how you get on. Are you losing weight and feeling healthier? I love to hear from you, so get in touch!
So, without further ado, here are the top 20 ‘zero’ calorie foods to help you lose weight…
Some links onare affiliate links – please see the disclosure tab on the main menu, side bar or footer for full details, thank you!
Top 20 Zero Calorie Foods to Help You Lose Weight
1. Apples – rich in antioxidants and fibre. And yummy.
2. Grapefruit – refreshing and zesty, and high in fibre and vitamin C. Pink grapefruit is my favourite. Because it is pink.
3. Lemons – fancy a little lemon for your mid-morning snack? Probably not. But try a squeeze in hot water for a refreshing hot drink instead of milky tea and coffee now and then.
4. Raspberries – lots of vitamin C and strangely addictive if you can cope with the seeds in your teeth!
5. Strawberries – go nicely with fresh cream. But that would probably defeat the point here.
6. Asparagus – another good source of fibre, and high in Vitamin K. (Which you don’t hear much about. Good for the blood apparently). Taste nice grilled.
7. Beetroot – a good source of iron. Can apparently make some people’s urine turn pink – don’t be alarmed!
8. Broccoli – great for fibre, B vitamins, iron, and a host of other nutrients. Which is why it’s often referred to as a superfood!
9. Cauliflower – just don’t smother it in cheese.
10. Celery – a good source of antioxidants and a convenient snack.
11. Cucumber – over 95% water, which is why they’re so incredibly low in calories.
12. Green beans – high in fibre, and also contain a decent amount of calcium.
13. Kale – good for digestion and very high in nutrients.
14. Leeks – lovely in soups.
15. Lettuce – obviously.
16. Onions – fancy an onion anyone? No, no one? Granted, onions are not the best snack food, but they’re excellent for adding flavour to your meals. Garlic too, which is also incredibly low in calories.
17. Sugar snap peas – a yummy and addictive snack, high in vitamin C.
18. Tomatoes – full of vitamins and minerals. Remember tinned tomatoes too.
19. Watermelon – the most refreshing and hydrating fruit for a summer snack.
20. Zucchini – try cutting it with a spiralizer and using in place of pasta.
You might also like to read – 10 easy ways to lose weight without dieting
Enjoyed this post on zero calorie foods to help you lose weight?… Why not save it for later on Pinterest!